I was browsing the dessert section of my Taste of Home cookbook and I found this recipe for Strawberry Cream Puffs.
My stepmom grew up in the south. She is really good at cooking southern food and has a huge hand me down type cook book full of southern family recipes. She taught me how to make cherry squares and cream puffs. (Plenty of other things too, but I really like sweets) When she would make these, we used just a regular cream filling and did a chocolate drizzle on top. They were so so good. When we would go to visit and even in college, we always made some kind of yummy treat. So, I figured, I better introduce Verity to Cream Puffs. We happened to have ripe strawberries needing to be eaten, so I slathered them in cream cheese and heavy whipping cream and served them right up
The dough is easier than you might think. This is what it looks like before you add the eggs. There is no cutting in of shorting or butter. It is a simple stove top method that hardly makes any mess.
Scoop them on to a cookie sheet with an ice cream scoop and bake. Easy peasy. They are so light and air. You don’t have to remove any of the middle. Just cut open the top and fill.
Doesn’t that filling look so good!!! My girls shared the spoon. They love “helping” me bake.
Strawberry Cream Puffs (Taste of Home)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- CREAM FILLING:
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar divided
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Confectioners' sugar
- Additional sliced strawberries
- Mint leaves
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter, sugar and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/3 cup (I used an ice cream scoop) 2-in. apart on a large lightly greased baking sheet (make 10). Bake at 400° for about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy
- In another large bowl, beat cream and remaining sugar until stiff. Fold in cream cheese and strawberries. Mix well. Chill until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, cut tops off puffs. Fill cream puffs and replace tops. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, and serve with additional berries and mint leaves. Yield: 10 cream puffs.