Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup (Crock pot)
This is my very first loaf of bread from my new bread machine. YUM!
I wish you could smell my kitchen. It is mouth watering.
Delicious basil and sweet tomatoes
I really like tomato soup. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, I ate grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for lunch nearly every day. I couldn’t get enough of it. When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I couldn’t as much as look at a tomato or tomato product without getting sick. Now that she is 7 months old, I am over indulging in the tomatoes.
It is still early winter for us here in Montana. That means we have a LONG soup season. This one will surely be added to the rotation as it was easy, very creamy, and loaded with good veggies. It is a keeper for sure.
Tomato-Basil Parmesan Soup
28 oz diced tomatoes. Do not drain them
1 cup finely diced celery
1 finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried basil
1/2 basil leaf (or one small leaf)
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups warmed 1/2 & 1/2 (fat free works just fine if you are cutting calories)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1. Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, onion, oregano, basil, bay leaf, and broth to a large crock pot.
2. Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours. Until the veggies are soft and the spices have really melded in.
3. About 30 minutes before serving, make a roux. Melt the butter in a sauce pan over low heat and add the flour. Stir constantly with a whisk about 5 minutes. Keep it on low!
4. Stir in 4 cups of soup very slowly alternating with stirring until smooth.
5. Return the roux to the slow cooker and stir. Add in the parmesan cheese and warmed 1/2 & 1/2. Add some extra basil and oregano if needed. Slow cookers really do a number on spices, so give it a taste test.
6. Season with salt and pepper, stir, and heat through.