I wanted to start a new series with inexpensive meals. We all know that when money is tight, eat beans and rice. Well, this one is beans and I added the best cornbread I have ever tasted. I have heard this dish called Cowboy Beans, Calico Beans, and I call it 5 Bean Bake.
My husband is of the opinion that every meal needs to include meat. He was pleasantly surprised at how much he liked this and how filling it was. *Note: there are 4 pieces of bacon in this* This meal can be made in the crock pot or in the oven. I chose to use my slow cooker so that I didn’t have much to do come supper time. I just mixed up the salad and the cornbread. VIOLA! Dinner is served.
5 Bean Bake
1 cup chopped onion
4 slices cooked bacon, chopped (I use frozen pre-cooked bacon)
1 clove garlic, minced
15oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
15oz can lima beans, drained and rinsed
15oz can butter beans, drained and rinsed
15oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
15oz can pork and beans, undrained
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Only one step……mix all together in crock pot and cook on low 8-10 hours. Or on high 4-5 hours
*If you want to bake this in the oven, bake it in a casserole dish at 375 for an hour.
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease 8X8 baking pan
2. Mix together dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside
3. Mix together wet ingredients. Fold in dry ingredients slowly. Stir just until mixed. Do not over mix
4. Pour batter in pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve warm with butter and honey.