On my way to 365 recipes in 365 days. Here is recipe 6.
When it comes to breakfast foods, I like the sweet stuff and my husband prefers the protein packed savory selections. So, when I make breakfast for dinner, we get one of each.
Strata is just fancy for “sweet bread casserole smothered in deliciousness”. I like this recipe, but next time I make it I will tear the bread in to pieces and make it an easier to scoop casserole. I think it will absorb the liquid better that way as well.
This is another make ahead breakfast. Its so nice to just be able to take it out of the fridge and pop it in the oven. (If you make this for dinner, just assemble it in the morning and bake at dinnertime)
Caramel Apple Strata
*Feel free to double this recipe and bake in a 9X13 pan. As written, this recipe serves 4*
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 Tbsp corn syrup
2 apples, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp apple pie spice
6 pieces cinnamon raisin bread (tore in pieces)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. In a small sauce pan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup/ Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes until thickened.
2. In a small bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, sugar, and pie spice.
3. Arrange half of the bread in a greased 8X8 baking dish. Spoon apples over bread and drizzle with half of the caramel sauce. Top with remaining bread.
4. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour over top of bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate the remaining caramel sauce.
5. When ready to bake, remove strata from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
7. Reheat caramel sauce in microwave and drizzle over top of strata. Enjoy!